How Often Should You Change Your Oil?
Oil changes are a critical part of routine car maintenance. How often should you change your oil? Well, experts used to suggest completing oil changes every 3,000 miles, but times have changed. Recent advances in engine technology and oil production have given drivers some leeway. Nowadays, most vehicles can last about 7,500 to 10,000 miles between oil changes. Read on to learn more about oil change frequency and the benefits of this small but extremely important service.
Oil Change Frequency: What to Keep in Mind
The oil change interval given above is a broad guideline; certain vehicles will need more frequent oil changes, especially if they’re used for any of the following activities:
- Off-roading around Riverside
- Work-related tasks
- Towing and hauling
What Happens When Your Car’s Oil Isn’t Changed?
Your car’s engine depends on fresh, clean oil to operate efficiently. Oil lubricates the moving parts within your car’s engine, preventing friction and overheating. Oil also collects debris as it moves through the engine and carries it to the oil filter. With time, the filter and the oil itself become riddled with contaminants and need to be replaced. When you neglect oil changes, you’ll eventually notice the following issues and red flags:
- Check engine and/or oil change lights are illuminated
- Knocking sound coming from the engine
- Dark and dirty oil
- Smoke emitting from the exhaust pipe
- Engine overheating
Oil Change Frequency: Tips
There are some things every Redlands driver should know about oil changes. Keep the following tips in mind to ensure your vehicle is well cared for:
- Even if you drive infrequently, you should still complete regular oil changes. Oil breaks down, even if it’s not constantly circulating through the engine.
- Be sure to get your oil filter changed as well. If you’re doing a DIY oil and filter change, you can get what you need from our parts department.
- Not sure if you should be using conventional oil or synthetic oil? Check your owner’s manual for recommendations or ask one of our service technicians.
When to Check Your Car’s Oil Level
Generally, it’s a good idea to check your oil level at least once a month to help catch any oil leaks, which can be detrimental to your car’s engine. When you check the level, be sure to examine the color and consistency of the oil itself. If you see metal particles within the oil, or something doesn’t seem quite right, schedule a service appointment at Hyundai Inland Empire as soon as possible.
Schedule an Oil Change at Hyundai Inland Empire
Feel more comfortable leaving a Hyundai oil change to the professionals? We can help! We offer a rotating selection of service coupons to San Bernadino drivers to make caring for your vehicle that much easier and affordable. Contact us online or call us at %%phone_services%% with any questions about oil change frequency or other routine maintenances like tire rotation.